Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jazz Ramblings & Other Idle Thoughts

Greetings!

I'm off the air for a few weeks (as I hope you have noticed), getting some R & R with the grandkids at the Jersey Shore (by the way, where we stay in Ocean City is nothing like the obnoxious TV series).

I spent some time yesterday evening watching Matt Garza's no-hitter, but listening to Koplant No. This is both a band name and the title of their new CD (they were my FEATURE ARTIST a few weeks ago). When I call their music interesting, I mean that in the very best sense. I've always been a fan of noir-ish films, movies with "texture," and to me, Koplant No is the audio equivalent of a film noir. They are not a conventional jazz group, but they certainly have jazz chops, especially saxophonist Joel Vanderheyden.

This is a real chicken and egg situation for me. I found out about Koplant No when they back up founding member Vanderheyden on his 2009 release Complete Life. On Koplant No, he's here as a player but not a composer. Those duties are split between trumpeter/keyboardist Brian Lewis Smith and bassist/french horn player Drew Morton. Rob Baner on drums and samples rounds out the quartet.

If I were a filmmaker, creating a science fiction detective movie (think Blade Runner), this album would be a great soundtrack. The playing is superb and they are telling stories outside of the box. I'd love to see how they handle a live crowd. (PS - a link to Joel's website is at the bottom of this page).


Another CD I'm fond of is The Sea, the sophomore effort from Corinne Bailey Rae. I remember the first time I saw her perform, on an episode of Aaron Sorkin's lamentably short-run TV show STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP. I was electrified then. The girl has presence, and she can write a tune, too. (Aaron Sorkin, by the way, is one of my very favorite TV/Screenwriters. I especially like how he incorporates cool music into his shows/movies. We'll have to get into that topic sometime later). Anyway, Corinne's been off the grid for a few years, recovering from the untimely passing of her husband. By all measures, The Sea is a great effort and well worth the wait. Her songwriting skills are undiminished (indeed, perhaps augmented) and both her voice and the production work are tip-top. We'll be hearing from her on future shows.

Stay cool!

No comments: