Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jazz Rambling & Other Idle Thoughts

My pal Jon Burr, noted New York Bassist, Composer and Bandleader, was kind enough to send me his latest release, a very intriguing duo project known as Jon & Lynn. I can't recall another example of two such voicings: Jon is a virtuoso on Bass, Lynn Stein is a stunning singer. With a tone as clear as a bell, and very precise diction, she brings new life to a wide array of old chestnuts (and two Burr originals) backed by a sometimes witty, sometimes melodic, sometimes minimalist but always steady upright bass. This works, folks! Bass and Girl Singer! You don't think it should, but sometimes sheer talent carries the day. I never imagined I'd hear a cover of the old Shondells tune I Think We're Alone Now, and If I Only Had A Heart is an especially fresh surprise, which then got me thinking about doing an Oz medley for an upcoming show (maybe this week). Anyway, thanks Jon & Lynn for the joy. PS - You can check out Jon & Lynn yourself at their website; see my Links of Interest at the bottom of this Blog!

Another nice new CD arrival is The Nick Hempton Band. The talented Mr. Hempton clearly listened to his Coltrane coming up; his alto is reminiscent of Trane's tenor (if that makes any sense) if not as dense. He also exhibits good composing chops, and by the way, the rest of the quartet can play too. This is a tight group and this is good jazz. I suspect we'll be getting to him again soon. Thank you, Nick, for the amusing liner notes! They'll be playing at Chris' Jazz Cafe in Philly April 15th (naturally, I'll be on the air, darn).

See you Thursday.

No comments: