Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jazz Rambling & Other Idle Thoughts

I often say that my show is a reflection of whatever mood I was in at the time that I planned it, which frequently is not the same mood that I'm in at airtime.

That will most definitely be the case tomorrow. I happened to have a free hour yesterday, so I wrote the Playlist and packed the CDs. Later that night, I learned that a great and true friend, John J. Zeock, had passed away.

John was the guy who introduced me to the Musical Heritage Society, an offshoot of which, Jazz Heritage, started me on this warped addiction to buying Jazz CDs that I enjoy to this day. So I suppose John is the spiritual Godfather of my little radio show.

He was probably the smartest, and certainly the most erudite person I ever knew well. A lot of the excellent (and strange) books and off-the-wall CDs in my library came from him.

I don't want his passing to go unremarked, and although I don't have even a shadow of his writing talent, his love of the arts has, for the longest time, inspired my own. I hope my show and this modest blog can be a tribute to a lost friend.

"I'll Be Seeing You..."

1 comment:

Juliet* said...

'sorry for yours as well as others' loss, Chuck. Anyone who is able to inspire others toward a love o music is a treasure!

Thank you for your contribution to inspiring others with your great enthusiasm for Jazz and other various musical works. Keep up the great work. I'm a big fan of Earth , Wind & Fire, btw!